A. Ecclesiastical Buildings and StructuresA1. Parish Church of St. Matthew [Chadderton Church] -Grade II .
Location: Corner of Chadderton Hall Road and Mill Brow. SD 90 NW.
Constructed 1848-57. By E. H. Shellard. Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave and chancel with south-west tower (added 1881) and flat-roofed 20th century additions to west and north. Four-bay nave with projecting plinth and gableted buttresses. Each bay has a 2-light window with reticulated tracery.
Photo by kind permission of John JohnsonTwo-bay chancel with cusped lancet windows. Coped gables with finials. Three-stage tower with clasping buttresses has arched door, small lancet openings and a squat spire which sits behind corner pinnacles and accommodates the belfry with gabled 2-light openings.
Interior: west gallery with blind arcaded parapet on cast-iron columns. Arch-braced collar-tie roof trusses on carved corbels. Wagon roof to chancel. Timber fittings and stone font. Stained glass, some by Kempe and Tower, other by F. Comere and Capronnier.
A2. Parish Church of St. Luke - Grade II
Location: Queens Road. SD 90 NW
Built 1882 by Stott and Sons. Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Tall nave and chancel under a continuous roof with west baptistery flanked by porches and low aisles. The intended north-west tower and a chapter house (and probably a vaulted ceiling) were never realised. Gothic revival. Five-bay nave and aisles. Projecting plinth and corbelled eaves. Angled corner buttresses and 2 flying buttresses to each side. Three (or 4 on north) 2-light aisle windows. The principal windows are at clerestory level and have 3-lights and geometrical tracery. Coped gables with finials. A brick lean-to addition takes the place of the organ chamber which was never built. Three 2-light east windows under an arched recess.
Interior: ashlar-faced chancel, terracotta nave. Moulded terracotta nave arcade arches on quatrefoil stone columns. King-post roof trusses but with a ceiling inserted in 20th century. Stone font with richly carved cover. Timber fittings. Good stained glass much of which is by J. B. Capronnier, including east window. A plaque in the chancel records the name of Edward Platt, local mill owner, who paid for the chancel. The lofty nave and chancel, coupled with rich detailing results in an unusual and interesting interior.
A3. Parish Church of Christ Church - Grade II
Location: Block Lane. SD 90SW
Built in 1870 by H. Ainley. Rock-faced stone with slate and copper roofs. Nave with clerestory, aisles, south-east tower and chancel. Gothic revival. Five-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth. Each bay has a weathered buttress and a 2-light window with geometrical tracery (and a door in the west bay). Circular and cusped clerestory windows. Coped gabled.
Four-stage castellated tower with angled weathered buttresses, door with colonnettes, cusped lancet windows, quatrefoil windows and two-light belfry openings and a square stair turret topped by a spirelet. Two-bay chancel with 5-light east window. Five-light west window.
Interior: chamfered nave arcade arches on clustered columns. Timber fittings. Stained glass. Mosaic walls and floor to chancel. Twentieth century ceiling conceals the nave roof structure.
A4. Lychgate at Christ Church - Grade II
Location: at main entrance to church grounds on Block Lane
Erected 1913 on tie-beam. Clay tile roof supported by timber posts on rock-faced stone dwarf walls. Dwarf wall inscribed " erected in memory of Alfred Butterworth". Bratticed tie-beam truss with Tudor-arched braces has cusped arches between vertical members. Two such trusses constitute the gables. Square posts at each corner. Cross finial. Included for group value.
B. Vernacular Buildings and StructuresB1. Foxdenton Hall. - Grade II*
Location : Foxdenton Lane. SD 80 SE
Erected between 1710 and 1730 for Alexander Radcliffe but on a basement which reuses features and stonework from a building of 1620 for William Radclyffe. English garden wall bond brick, stone basement and quoins and graduated stone slate roof.
U-shaped plan of two storeys (plus basement). Anglo-classical style. Three bays with two- bay wings projecting on either side. Stone basement with 2-light double-chamfered stone mullion windows and former door lintel inscribed "W R 1620". Rusticated quoins. Bold modillion eaves cornice which breaks forward at the central bay both front and rear.
Steep hipped roof with two large rebuilt ridge chimney stacks. Central entrances to front and rear have panelled doors, moulded surrounds and pediments on enriched brackets. Six ground floor and 7 first floor windows to both front and rear have slightly recessed 28- pane sash windows (many of which have been replaced by copies). Only one of the three original dormer windows exists on the rear roof.
Interior: central room with large bolection-moulded fire surround gives access to parlour in west wing and stair and kitchen in east wing. The oak stair has a deep moulded handrail and turned balusters on a closed string and square newels with sunk panels. Wall panelling in entrance hall of 1620 and elsewhere of 1700. Oak ceiling beams. Eighteenth century fire places. A dignified early Georgian house, particularly rare in this part of the country.
B2. Sundial at Foxdenton Hall. - Grade II
Location: in lawn facing the south front of Foxdenton Hall. SD 80 SE
Eighteenth century. Stone with bronze dial. Octagonal baluster on octagonal plinth. Dial dated 1926. Gnomon missing.
(At the present time the sundial has been removed pending restoration)
B3. Foxdenton Farmhouse - Grade II
Location: Foxdenton Lane - north-east side. (Not to be confused with Foxdenton Hall Farmhouse, which is in the grounds of the Hall)
Eighteenth century and 19th century brickwork, 17th century hammer-dressed stone but incorporating a set of 3 cruck trusses which may be of medieval origin. Graduated stone slate roof partly replaced by corrugated sheet. The cruck building consists of 2 bays including a cross-passage. A gabled stone crosswing was added to the right and a brick crosswing to the font of the left bay. The brick walls of the main range replace former timber-framed walls.
The whole is now of 2 storeys although the hall was probably open to the roof at one stage. The brick ranges have various window openings, some with flat brick arches, some with timber lintels and one with an elliptical brick arch. The left crosswing has a projecting gable chimney stack. The cross-passage is adjacent to the stone crosswing which has two small chamfered window openings. The right return has a 2-light (fire window) a 4-light and a 3-light ground floor window. Blocked 2 and 3-light windows on first floor and at rear. All have chamfered stone mullions some of which are recessed.
The wing conceals the former gable-end of the house which contains decorative plasterwork at the apex. It also contains a timber-framed partition dividing it into 2 rooms. The house-part has an inglenook fireplace with heck post. Timber framed internal walls. The closed cruck trusses have tie-beams at ceiling height and their considerable dimensions suggest an early date. The survival of such a structure is rare in this area.
(N.B. The house has been substantially modernised in recent years)
B4. Cinder Hill Farmhouse. - Grade II
Location: Cinder Hill Lane, Chadderton Heights. SD 90 NW
Early 18th century. Hammer-dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. Two-unit 2- storey plan with 20th century additions to rear. Projecting plinth. Door to right has chamfered surround. Two 4-light chamfered mullion windows on each floor (all with mullions removed). Left gable rebuilt in 20th century. Massive projecting chimney stack to right gable in addition to a ridge chimney stack. A similar blocked door surround at rear results in a cross-passage against the gable. Rear largely obscured by additions. The mullions have all been removed from the windows. Chamfered beams internally some with ogee stops. A barn and shippon was formerly connected to the left of the house but was demolished earlier in the 20th century.
B5. Chadderton War Memorial - Grade II
Location: in Town Hall gardens, Middleton Road. SD 90 NW
Unveiled in October 1921. Bronze statue, stone obelisk. Battle-clad figure clasping a gun stands in front of obelisk on pedestal and stylobate. Inscription reads "In honour of the men of Chadderton who made the supreme sacrifice and in grateful remembrance of all who served their country in the wars of 1914-19 and 1939-45".
C. Industrial Architecture
C1. Canal Lock Number 62 (Coneygreen Lock) - Grade II
Location: Rochdale Canal, north from Mills Hill.
Constructed between 1794 and 1804. William Jessop engineer. Hammer-dressed stone. Gates and winding gear no longer exist otherwise the lock is complete. Retaining walls sweep down at lower end incorporating boatman's steps.
(The canal and locks are presently being restored for the re-opening of the canal in 2002)
C2. Scowcroft Lane Bridge - Grade II
Location: Rochdale Canal, north from Mills Hill.
Road bridge over Rochdale Canal. Erected between 1794 and 1804. William Jessop engineer. Hammer-dressed stone. Skew elliptical arch. Continuous band. Parapet walls have round-topped copings and square terminating piers.
C3. Disused Railway Bridge (on Manchester to Leeds Railway Line) Grade II.
(Known locally as "Th'iron Donger")
Location: North from Mills Hill Station.
Railway bridge over Rochdale Canal. Constructed 1863 for the Manchester to Leeds Railway Company [line opened in 1839]. Cast-iron with stone abutments and wrought- iron remedial work of later 19th century. Skew bridge. Convex-bottomed cast-iron beams span between the principal girders. Later wrought-iron beams were added between each of the original beams. Each is bolted to the principal girders which have open painted arcades, incorporated arched compression members and which were pre-cast in several sections before being bolted together.
Decorated spandrels have pierced quatrefoils and daggers and form a Tudor arch below the principal girders. The large square abutment piers were moved on the west when a new bridge was constructed adjacent to the old one.
(The new bridge is not part of this schedule).
C4 Chadderton Mill
Location: Fields New Road
This mill was the first one designed by the eminent Lancashire architect, Sir Philip Sidney Stott, who was born in Chadderton in 1858, after he set up his own business. Built by the Chadderton Mill Co. Ltd. in 1885, it had an extra storey added to the card shed in 1901, and a new office block erected in 1906. Further extensions were made in 1911, 1920, and 1936. The mill ceased production in June 2000, being the last cotton mill in Chadderton to function as such.
A Blue Plaque to Sir Philip Sidney Stott was erected in September 2004, on Chadderton Central Library (1905), which stands on the site of Wykehan Place, his birthplace.
C5. Nile Mill
Location: Fields New Road
Another mill designed by Sir Philip Sidney Stott, it was constructed in 1898 by te Nile Spinning & Doubling Co. Ltd., and was the largest ring spinning mill in the world at the time. It was also the last cotton mill to be built with the traditional beam engine, gear and vertical drive shaft. An extra storey was added in 1905, and an extension to the card room made in 1907. Further extensions were made in 1912 and 1914. The mill ceased production in 1960.
C6. Manor Mill
Location: Victoria Street
Designed by George Stott, the Manor Mill was erected in 1906, and is chracterised by its impressive copper-covered dome after the Byzantine style. The mill ceased cotton processing in 1932, but was reopened in 1940 by the Lancashire Cotton Corporation. It finally closed in 1990.
It had been intended that the building would be come a heritage centre, but this scheme has now been abandoned. Its sister mill, the Kent, designed by George Stott in 1908 was demolished in 1994.
Conservation Areas in Chadderton
Chadderton Town Centre [designated 2/89]:
Town Hall (1912/13); Rushbank Cottages, (c1855); Library (1905), Police Station (1901), Swimming Baths (1936/37).
Victoria Street, [designated 2/89]:
Manor Mill (1906); Eustace Street School (1895/96-architect Sir Philip Sidney Stott).
Home | The Constitution | Avro History | Chadderton Cotton Industry | Chadderton Hall | Chadderton Organisations | Chadderton-the-town and its-people | Chadderton Town Crier | Christmas Lights | Current Newsletters | Family History and Research | Favourite Links | Foxdenton Hall | Friends of Foxdenton | Geoff Tootill | Henry Taylor | Heritage Centre | Long serving Councillors | Lydia Becker | Membership and CHS publications | News of the Year | Peterloo | Places of Worship and Education | Friends of Foxdenton | Programme of Events | School Local History Projects | Secretary's Reportt | Sir Philip Sidney Stott | Visitors Guide to Chadderton | Chadderton-hs
Last Modified: 18/02/2012 Copyright Chadderton Historical Society 1999-2012